To begin reducing waste in any operation, you need to know what you're wasting. Enter the food waste audit, which gives you a snapshot of how much and what you're wasting in your operation.
This guide offers tips, tools, and recommendations for conducting a food waste audit of your pre-consumer (or "kitchen") food waste. We'll walk you through creating a plan based on these five criteria:
- Timing. When and how often whill you conduct the audit?
- Participants. Who will be your food waste champion? Who else will participate and what will their roles be?
- Goals. What exactly do you want to achieve with your food waste audit?
- Process. How will you record data? What will you measure?
- Location. Where is the most efficient location for the audit?